Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sunday Sondheim-One More Kiss

Opera stars Erie Mills and Licia Albanese, from "Follies: In Concert". This is my favorite song in the show, the best juxtaposition or the older and younger selves. I believe I read that this song was the heart of the show; the first song written. The actual concert version begins about 2 1/2 minutes in.

By the way, Yma Sumac played the older self in a revival in the late eighties.

When I found out Follies was being revived in 2001, I immediately booked four tickets. I didn't know who I was going with, just knew I was going. Ended up bringing Boris, Albuquerque Al and Dancing Queen. It was June on New York; the night before the Tony's.

We saw Marni Nixon, perform this song. Along with Tony nominees, Blythe Danner and Polly Bergen, others in the cast were Treat Williams, Gregory Harrison, Marge Champion, Betty Garrett, Judith Ivins. I got most of their autographs on a wonderful poster. Missed getting Marni's autograph, because a backstage companion of hers ushered her out and pushed through the crowd to a waiting limo. This friend who practically knocked us down, was Ann Miller, a very aggressive octegenarian.

2 comments:

val said...

You don't find many songs in musicals that are worthy of an opera singer's voice (Sarah Brightman should have learnt that lesson before trying to be an opera singer post Phantom - miaow!) his is not an easy sing. West Side Story beats all, though - so challenging I've heard really good singers have trouble with songs like Maria.

Boston_Betty said...

Thank God for theatre and music; both are a welcomed escape from the real world for a little while every now and then.