Saturday, December 22, 2007

A SOBERING EXPERIENCE . . . Shovel The Damned Sidewalks, People!

On Thursday afternoon, I was rushing, on foot, from my office at Chicago and Michigan Avenues, down Chicago Avenue (a very major street) to LaSalle Street, where I had an appointment. I nearly slipped and twisted my ankle on melted, refrozen snow and ice. Bitching and cursing, I came upon an older woman in a wheelchair, not far from "Access Living." Apparently, she was asking people for something, and being at my most cynical, I assumed it was money. Everyone kept passing her by. As I came near her, she looked into my eyes, her own watery eyes pleading desperately. "Can you help me?" Thank goodness, my holiday spirit kicked in, or my contempt for most of humanity subsided, take your pick. "What do you need?" I asked. "Can you just give me a push, just to the corner? I only have to go a couple of blocks, but I can't get down this section of sidewalk." Needless to say, I was both shocked and terribly saddened. First off, all this poor woman needed was someone to help her navigate the sidewalks that NO ONE HAD BOTHERED TO SHOVEL appropriately. She asked for some helping hands, nothing more. Second, the fact that I was so self-absorbed and so cynical that I was more worred about being late for an appointment than helping someone in truly desperate need, made me ask: "who do you despise more . . . yourself or the rest of humanity?"

"Sure, honey. I'll get you as far as you need to go," I responded. Needless to say, she was very grateful, but I believe I was just as grateful. Trouble was, it was almost as difficult for ME to get her down the lumpy sidewalk as it was for her to get herself down the bloody thing.

"Say, I have an idea," she said in a moment of triumph. She had spotted a driveway path to the street, where we could navigate down Chicago Avenue, as close to the curb as we could get. A few kind words, and a few moments later, we had succeeded in getting her down Chicago Avenue, across a busy intersection, to the clear sidewalk on the other side. We said our good-byes, and I began to continue on my journey. I stopped several times to glance over my shoulder to make sure she was well on her way. It took her a couple of rough starts, but off she went, wheeling towards her destination. But all I could think about, the rest of the way, was whether or not she might need help getting back . . . and would someone actually be good enough to help her?

So, PLEASE, EVERYONE OF ABLE BODY, please make sure the walks in front of your businesses and homes are kept clear. Chicago, and other parts of the nation and planet, are facing another heavy snowfall. Imagine how it would feel to be stranded, alone and helpless, on a Chicago sidewalk, with busy passersby ignoring your predicament. And more importantly, try to hang on to the spirit of the holiday season . . . all year round . . . empathy . . . not apathy. MERRY F*&KING CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!

4 comments:

val said...

Wow, there really is a clip on YouTube to suit every story then?

I'm glad you were able to help. People are so uncaring about the less able, and it really pisses me off.

Gunga Dean said...

Broken Heart wants to take pictures of all houses that don't shovel.

Gunga Dean said...

You should leave a comment and link over there: http://morsehellhole.blogspot.com/
Your tale is eloquent, timely and, yes, I'm blogwhoring.

SnarkAngel said...

I love it: "Morsehellhole!" Just glad that Tommy the fucktard's LOVELY little bar, The TopHat, got closed down on Morse Avenue. Bitch had it coming. She shut down my free parking privileges at Anvil!!