Sunday, December 23, 2007

Safely Home

Beat the Ice Storm. Got to drive through a truly Londonesque fog along the lakefront. Only got lost twice, once for a very spooky drive through unlit forest preserves, with ethereal mists wafting eerily across the road at every vale.

Then I overshot the side street my cousin lives on. They don't believe in streetlights, these suburbanites. Went up to the wrong house (with the right address, just a different street). Drove around for another couple of miles before giving in and calling my cousin for further directions (it really is a guy thing, this reluctance to ask).

Turns out I was less than a block away. They literally flagged me in. All they needed was flashlights tipped with orange cones guiding me in to the terminal.

Started my first scotch before removing my coat. And then the shaking finally subsided. (And NO, it was not DT's, B*#&$es!

Journey out 1:45
Journey in 1:10

WooHoo! You can all go out and safely drive again now!

3 comments:

val said...

No street lamps - cool. I'd love that, I have two telescopes unusablebecause of light pollution.

As for the fog, I was going to say, those London fogs are a thing of the past, but it was foggy this morning. No more peasoupers, though, sorry to disappoint.

Boris said...

So pleased that Gunga is safely home. There is a visible fog WALL approaching the island at this moment. Yikes

SnarkAngel said...

Remember that creepy movie with Adrienne Barbeau and Janet Leigh? "The Fog," by John Carpenter. "Don't go into the fog! Stay away from the fog!!!" The creatures IN the fog were especially entertaining. Enjoy, Boris!!!