Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Horniman Museum

As part of the more English (oops, should I say British?) flavour I'll try and bring to the blog, I thought folks might like to see that there's more to London than the big, internationally famous stuff.

Visitors to London often visit the big museums, like the British Museum, the Victoria and Albert, the Natural History and the Science Museums. Just a few miles from my home, there is a small museum founded by the Horniman Tea Company's philanthropic owner in the Victorian era. It has an amazingly eclectic collection - musical instruments, natural history, an aquarium, textiles, archaeology. When I was a child there was an excellent collection of mummies and Egyptian coffins.

School parties can have hands-on experience with artefacts of their teacher's choice. Then if the weather is fine, they can go to the gardens behind the museum and enjoy the little zoo-cum-farm in beautiful parkland.

And it's free to everyone!

The building is unusual, to say the least.


There's an amazing conservatory in the gardens where concerts are sometimes held.


There are not many usable pictures on the net - this statue is Kali standing on Shiva.


A goat and some waterfowl in the little zoo.


This totem pole stands in the gardens.



6 comments:

SnarkAngel said...

Gunga and Boris, we must visit these sites when we head to London. And of course, we MUST meet up with Val!

SnarkAngel said...

Okay Val, I just looked again at the name of the museum. Do you say it like this: "Horny Man?"

Boston_Betty said...

I'd love to visit England sometime. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until the exchange rate gets a little better. Maybe after 'Commander Koo-Koo Bananas' leaves office. (sigh*)

val said...

Oh, Snarky, why didn't I think of that? You just gave me a real belly laugh at the end of a tough day!

val said...

OMG, I just noticed the sign on the scaffolding next to the totem pole - it says Hot Son!

SnarkAngel said...

Val, I can't believe I missed that! Good catch!