Friday, February 29, 2008

The hagiographic hooplah around Obama & Hillary's brilliant ad- I'd almost think about voting for her after viewing it!

One of the Obama videos I posted last night, the one I said gave me lactose intolerance problems, has had embedding disabled. I said of it

Not sure what to make of this video, other than that being lactose intolerant something this cheesy is putting my intestinal health in grave danger, not to mention my sanity... but maybe that's the point, to be as over the top as my slideshow. I see it uses the same silly picture of him with the Superman statue as I did, so...


It was embeddable last night, but now isn't, so if you want to watch it, you have to click here. The same user has posted several other videos which seem more to be VERY hagiographic.
Here's a more blatant one... I wonder how long before it gets yanked.








I just don't get the "cult of Obama." Aside from Jesus Christ and my wife, the only thing I've come close to having that sort of reverence for or worship of was the 21 year old cheddar I found in Tomah Wisconsin years ago. People is people, for feck's sake.

  • We all drop stinky loads after mawing down a bag of our favorite junk food
  • We all think of adding a level of hell to Dante's 7 when someone with 20 items in their carts gets in front of us in the 12 items or less isle.
  • We've all followed the crowd and enjoyed or participated in something we've later come to rue and regret. (In my case, it was string ties in the 80s, and the Bee Gees in the 70s.)

Would Mother Teresa or Albert Schweitzer or get the same level of adulation, the same exemption from any criticism or critique?! I doubt it! As I found on JibJab, one might as well advocate the clubbing of baby seals or the torture of kittens as critique him.

To paraphrase my favorite booze commercial- a mind is a like a parachute, it only works when when open. This is a presidential primary for pity's sake, not the Immaculate Election!

The brilliant Hillary Clinton Ad




Of course, my reaction to this was the same as every other commentator with a few active brain cells- that it takes after Johnson's [in]famous "Daisy Ad"




Now, I can't claim I remember this commercial- I heard about it on cable TV, but its striking how similar the ads are... and for good reason, the same guy produced them both!







Heaven knows, I'm no fan of either Clinton, but I have defended Senator Clinton when she was attacked unfairly because she has 2 "x" chromosomes, and I've got to give her credit for laying out the issue so well here, even if it is a reprise of an older spot.

Initially I was proud of America for being open to Obama's candidacy, and was pleased he was appealing to the "higher angels" in us. But two things have soured me on him.

1) The more he speaks, the less he says. If brevity is the soul of wit... the inverse is holding true with him. His campaign is like a pep rally with no game following... a warm up without an act!

2) The fanaticism of his fans, and the way they treat naysayers. I'd already noticed this and been quite off put by it before I started getting feces for it. No one should be worshiped, adored, and exempted from critical scrutiny... much less someone running to be the modern day equivalent of Caesar Augustus!

2 comments:

SnarkAngel said...

Crain's Chicago Business was all abuzz this week with how recent "social events" among democrats have been "strained by the tension" between the two camps. I'm sure the Republicans are salivating, hoping that the growing tension between the Hillaryites and the Barackites could lead to the losing camp's voters choosing McCain (much like the Democrats salivated at the discord between the Mittster and the McCain . . . God . . . that sounds like a bad TV sitcom).

Listig said...

That's one possibility... the other possibility is that it could so motivate and energize the Democratic base that they turn out with a fervency not seen since the 60s.

McCain may be an American hero, a major pain in the big fat сракi ~ sraki of the party purists and gives the kabroi in talk radio conniption fits... but he's hardly a George Patton or JFK type.


How do you compete not with a person, but with a cult of personality?


Its not like McCain's likely to deliver a "Once more into the breach" (see the Bard's Henry V) oration.

Which, BTW, like all great speeches, was short in length and great in content!

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more,
Or close the wall up with our English dead!
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger:
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood.
"Henry V" (5.3.44-51)