Thursday, April 23, 2009

Think about it.

There was a write up today about gay marriage in the Redeye. I, for one, am all for it. Equal opportunity to be miserable I say. As a former divorce lawyer, it would have doubled my client base. That said, let's think about it. The equal rights thing is a no brainer. I cannot imagine not being allowed into my son's hospital room because I was not married to their father legally. I know, not the same, but still, I cannot begin to imagine it.

My biggest fear is not that gay marriage will cause the downfall of Western Civilization, we know it will ;-), but rather that gay couples around the country will flock to the states that legalize gay marriage in an attempt to make a statement. EVERYONE should strongly consider their options before walking down the aisle. My fear is that, like alcohol and the 21sit birthday party, something that was long denied and now legal will spark a frenzy of binge marriages. Do you want it only because you cannot have it?

One of the most loving, cute and devoted couples I know is a gay couple. They know who they are, and their bird knows too! I envy their love, devotion and relationship and am jealous of what they have. That they are unable, by law, to get married bothers me. My only question to any gay couple is, "Are ya sure ya realllllly wanna spend the rest of your life with THAT person?" If your answer is no, DO NOT GET MARRIED. That goes doubly for all the heteros and homophobes as well.

6 comments:

Boston_Betty said...

Well, Bob will never ask me to marry him, because he doesn't want to spring for the ring! (sigh*)

val said...

Trouble is, everyone thinks when they get married, it will be forever. Stupid romantic idiots!

jazzy said...

it' not about "forever together", it's about rights (including children's rights).

SnarkAngel said...

I agree Jazzy, but I also approach the gay community with a warning to be cautious. Yes, the rights should most definitely be equal under the law, but that does not mean that every gay couple that has slept together should run off and buy rings and run down the aisle. Being a part of the gay community, I have to agree that Catie's assessment is correct. There is no need to "rush into something" just because it is a new right. Make SURE you want ALL the advantages AND trappings of marriage before you make the decision. Marriage is not just a statement of commitment ... it is a serious and legally binding contract. That's the part that people forget. No need to behave like so many of our misguided heterosexual counterparts and make a hasty, life-changing decision. In other words, THINK BEFORE YOU LEAP! LOL. Unless, of course, it is Vincent asking ME to marry HIM! In a heartbeat!!!

SnarkAngel said...

P.S. Betty, maybe you should take the initiative!?!? LOL. "Noooooo! Stop! Noooooo!"

Just Catie said...

LMAO.........I love you guys and if Vincent were to ask me, I would tell him no, that he is yours first...I know, dibs!