Sunday, October 14, 2007

Daily Read Additions

I've added "Shorpy" to the blogroll. I love this blog specializing in vintage photos. When they post Chicago photos I find myself trying to figure out if anything remains of what the photo has captured.

I am also adding "The Diary of Samuel Pepys" (pronounced PEEPS, as in that noxious Easter candy, for the uninitiated.) They run daily entries where all these great scholars and snarkists annotate each entry with links and commentary. It's a great read that gives a wonderful feel for Restoration London. They are up to 13 October 1664, so it will get very interesting as we approach the Plague of 1665 and Great Fire of 1666. This one is for all you fellow Anglophiles out there. Make sure you follow the links and annotations as they bring you to maps, paintings and alternative takes along with witty and or historic commentary on Sam's exploits and events of the day.

It's moderated by a Phil Gyford, a sometime actor and current student at LIPSA (London International School of Performing Arts).

Give it a visit. I find it extremely addictive.

I've also previously added "Life and Vincent". This site is ALL THINGS VINCENT D'ONOFRIO, and I mean ALL THINGS! It's run by our frequent commentor Val and it is stunning, astounding, something truly to behold.

3 comments:

SnarkAngel said...

Gunga, Gunga! It's "Life and Vincent," not "Vincent and Me!" LOL. And D'Onofrio is the correct spelling, not D'Onfrio. Okay, you know how bitchy I can get when it comes to anything having to do with my husband who lives in the TV . . .

Gunga Dean said...

Testy, Testy!!

How could I have blown that.

Anyway. Fixed!

SnarkAngel said...

I know. I'm such a bitch. And you gave the blog such RAVING reviews. How could I be so cruel?? Especially to my dear Gunga!!! Forgive me, Great Gunga, for I have transgressed! I know you will probably punish me by locking me in a room with Carl Stargher from "The Cell." Heh-heh.