Saturday, July 21, 2007

Of Blue Hairs and Honeysuckle

On any family visit, my responsibilities are twofold. First and foremost, I am the Prodigal Son returning from "The North," speaking with an accent and expressing opinions not based upon the bible. Secondly, I am conductor of The Blue Hair Express. My mother is 90 and my Aunt Kitty is 97. Though orphaned since the influenza epidemic and inseparable for 90 years, they have yet to figure out a way to get along for more than 5 minutes at a time. Conversing with both in the car revealed their limited geriatric world couched in terms of the familiar. On my last visit, wanting to move at a pace that outstripped their limited mobility mph, I suggested we take a drive through the neighborhood. Passing a house where I used to visit and play with a friend, I said, "There's the old Killian house."

My mother said, "She died last year." (Meaning my friend's mother.)
Aunt Kitty said, "Who died?"
Mother said, "Jean Killian."
"She died last week?"
"No, Kitty, she died last year."
"I didn't know that."
"Well, Kitty, you went to the funeral."
After a pause, my aunt said "I didn't go to any funeral last week."

And so the weekend went, whether traveling in The Blue Hair Express or sitting in a living room the world was small and getting smaller. Defined by diminished physical capacity, intrusions by others to accomplish daily tasks, the loss of all friends, it was confining and restrictive for me. The days were humid, the pace glacial and the nights welcome. In the evening, when the scent of honeysuckle blew through the open windows on night breezes, the pace was more in sync with the world of the Blue Hairs. People sat, relaxed in the heat, and told stories with that distinctive southern rise and fall in cadence. There is a natural harmony with the night as old age progresses. Edging closer to bedtime, slowing down evermore as that hour approaches. Their daylight is the well remembered past, when children played and bodies were strong.

My niece was also there with her newborn daughter. Cradling it, hovering like the first time mother she is. It is incomprehensible to me that a child would be born in this world. The future of that generation is bleak beyond words. When Marx said capitalism would destroy itself, he couldn't have imagined it would destroy the entire planet. His dream was too big to encompass the punitive and cowardly spectre of total destruction. The property we now fight for is oil, the bodies of women, the ideas of long dead gods. That generation will fight over water, air, and who knows what bodies, living or dead. It seems to me the flow of things is day into night with those approaching their final hours finding refuge and pleasure in the memories of their days. That cannot be the future.

4 comments:

delicious on toast said...

I just LOVED reading this little snippet. Much made me smile and yet, the ending gave me a kind of panic. I have two small nephews who I adore more than life itself. It's strange when you start living for someone else. I do things differently, slowly and more deliberatly. I pay so much more attention to what's around me. Something like driving down the neighborhood street. Never gave it a thought until these two magnificent boys came into my life. Now, I take that turn a little slower and will follow the posted 25MPH because you never know when a ball may bounce out infront of you.

And even while everything, every sense is so much sharper and more meaningful...the fear of what future may or may not hold still sits like a pit in my stomach. I worry, fret and yes, shed a few tears about what kind of world they will have when they hit my age.
Right now everything for them is an adventure and exciting. Bills aren't a care, the lack of jobs isn't a problem and girls are just another play buddy.
What's going to happen in 5 years or 10 or 20? Is this happiness and freedom they feel now, going to just be a distant memory?
I wish someone had the answer, I know I don't. For now though, I am going to continue to spoil them and tickle them and tell me all the time how much I love them. If nothing else, I am going to do my best to contribute to the good memories.

SnarkAngel said...

. . . fighting over bodies . . . living or dead . . . methinks we're overdue for another screening of "Soylent Green." Ummmmm . . . crackers! Care to join me, JP? DOT?

val said...

You just expressed my nightmare.

Love the aunt/mother story. It's funny and poignant all at the same time.

SnarkAngel said...

Welcome aboard, Val!