Sunday, March 18, 2007

"The Wiz" at the Theatre Building

As posted below, my brother's family and I went and saw the White Horse Theatre Company's version of "The Wiz" yesterday. It's young energetic cast delivering a very fun, well staged, and choreographed version of this gem. The entire cast (of 13!) seemed like they were enjoying themselves immensely. They've got what it takes, and they deliver.

Kudos go to Shayla Jarvis who played the Addaperle, Good Witch of the South, very sassy and streetwise.

More Kudos to Michele Cason, as Glinda who delivered a star turn with "Believe" and Bethany Thomas who filled the tiny stage with a huge, barreling, raucous voice as Evillene in "No Bad News" .

And Samara Smith's Dorothy was perky and starry eyed. She delivered a very commendable closer with "Home". She also snuck in a fun little line, on trying on the silver slippers: "and they fit, too!" Cracked me up.

One fun note, Special thanks to the Munchkin (and Lion), Dwight Neal, who slipped in a quick wink from stage to my five year old niece. It is such things that help birth a love of theatre. After the show my niece could not resist a quick turn of interpretive dance on the stage as we were leaving. I think her moves were "Wiz' inspired.

I first saw "the Wiz" 30 years ago at the Shubert, during a high school Thespian Group outing. (Curiously, my brother was also there) I think it may have been my first "downtown" musical. It would be the 1st of many, many shows. I loved the music then and still do. I started seriously watching the Tonys that year.

About 15 years ago Stephanie Mills recovered a wizened version of her "Home" that you will often find me downloading on the the jukebox at the Anvil. (All together now as we slap the bar "like! Yours! Like! MINE!!!!!....."). This was the version that should have been in the movie. (Alas, the Mills' versions on YouTube are VHS copies of copies and barely watchable.)

And the movie version? Good, but unsatisfying.

Until the end, that is. Then it becomes a version of Diva Smackdown with "Home" and "Believe". You can almost read Diana Ross' mind as she does her Dorothy turn on "Home", going "I best be good as that Diva is gonna follow me, and eat me alive!" That Diva being Lena Horne, ravishing, as she unleashes a fiery and spine-tingling "Believe".

Now That's Star Power!

No comments: